Monday, May 16, 2005

NCLEX

Well, I received my authorization to test today. I'm scheduled to take the NCLEX on June 7th at 9am. I'm excited and incredibly nervous. This will be the exam that determines whether or not I can actually practice as a registered nurse. I feel pretty confident in my ability to pass, but at the same time I am plagued by feelings of doubt and insecurity. What if I don't really know what I'm doing?
When I was in music school, I always felt like a fraud. Even when I would earn positions in the top ensembles, I felt like I was just pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. I thought that it was only a matter of weeks until my professors and everyone around me would discover that in fact I wasn't a talented percussionist. I was just some dumb kid that managed to fool everyone into thinking he actually knew how to read music and play the marimba.
Now that I've graduated from nursing school, all of those old insecurities are back. I feel like I've just pulled off the biggest heist in the history of nursing academia. I got through two years of nursing school and don't know a damn thing. All of my professors were wrong when they gave me those A's. Those A's actually belonged to someone else, and I actually deserved to flunk out my first semester.
I know I'm just being paranoid, but deep down I really am just an insecure dweeb.

No comments: