Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Health Disparities and Men

This article in the New York Times confirms something I have thought for quite some time; that men are being ignored by our health care system these days. Every time I turn around, it seems that there is some new health initiative focusing on women. Either we're wearing red to bring attention to heart disease and women or we're wearing a pink ribbon and running a marathon to raise money for breast cancer. The excuse I often hear for this (and one that is used by an interviewee in the article) is that in the past health care and research focused solely on men and completely neglected women. So I guess it's our turn to be neglected, is that what you're saying?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that we should turn around and focus all our attention on men again. I'm just asking for a little balance, that's all. How about focusing some attention on prostate cancer? How about a public service campaign encouraging men to see their doctor on a more regular basis? You can bet that if women had prostates that prostate cancer would have a ribbon.

Men consistently die at a younger age than women and there has to be a reason why. Sure, some of it could just be old fashioned genetics. But isn't there a chance that some of the disparity could be fixed simply by not ignoring us guys?

No comments: