Thursday, January 24, 2008

The pain scale


The pain scale is bullshit.

There, I’ve said it. It’s out there and I can never take it away.

It’s bullshit because people are retarded and don’t use it properly.

Example: A patient has a wound on his foot. It’s infected and nasty. It must hurt. The patient appears fairly comfortable. He’s watching television and enjoying a milk shake.

“How would you rate the pain your having right now,” I ask.

He looks up from his milkshake. and says “10/10”.

I want to respond by saying, that we might as well go ahead and chop that foot off without using any sedative. It apparently can’t get any worse, right? While we’re at it, we’re gonna go ahead and take out those wisdom teeth of yours. No gas for you though! The pain couldn’t possibly be worse than you’re experiencing right now!

Instead I just opt to medicate the dumb ass and order him another milk shake.

1 comment:

gay CME guy said...

ROTFL!
U r 2 funny!
As someone with chronic pain, I sometimes want to kick some of these whiners right in the jewels, snap a bone, and ID for them what a true 10/10 is.