Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kitchen Confessions

Portland is a foodie town. People here love to talk about food in great detail. They share their opinions on food freely and can have a tendency to look down their noses at people who dare to disagree. These are the people who visit the farmers market regularly, buy only local produce, and “eat seasonally.”

I am not one of those people.

I have some confessions to make that I need to get off my chest.

-I don’t always use fresh garlic. I have a jar of prepared minced garlic in my refrigerator that I use with some frequency.
-I visited the Portland Farmers Markets one time last year.
-I will probably not visit the Portland Farmers Market with greater frequency this year.
-I’m not really all that enamored with farmers markets. I think buying my produce at a grocery store is just more convenient and I don’t really notice a difference in quality or taste.
-I eat veal and do so unapologetically.
-I buy flavored ground coffee. Grinding my own coffee is a task that I have absolutely no interest in taking on.
-I have several favorite recipes that call for a can of condensed soup (usually cream of mushroom).
-I have never made my own spaghetti sauce and always use jarred sauce.
-I purchase produce with no thought to if it is in season.
-I believe that the Hostess Orange Cupcake could very well be the world’s most perfect confection.

I feel much better now. Thank you for your attention. If you need me, I’ll be in the kitchen sipping my hazelnut flavored coffee and eating my out of season produce. If you happen to see any orange cupcakes while you're out, could you pick me up a box?

2 comments:

Zeroes said...

If it makes you feel better, I only use pre-made frozen puff pastry when I cook, because who has four hours to roll out dough?

Dead Nurse said...

I've never made my own pie crust for the same reason. It just seems like far to much effort when I really just want some pie.