Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Do you sing karaoke?"

This was the question posed to me by a patient whose bottom I was currently wiping. (Ah, the life of a nurse!) It was a strange question, but frequently patients will make conversation while your in the middle of doing something involving those areas of their body only spouses have seen in the last 20 years. I guess it helps to make them more comfortable.

I don't sing karaoke. In fact the last time I sang karaoke was in Florida about 10 years ago. I got on the stage of a crappy country bar with two female friends and did a version of Love Shack.

"I'm sure I've seen you doing karaoke before at..."

She pauses slightly.

"...at The Embers."

For the uninitiated, Embers is a gay club here in Portland. A gay club I have never even been to. I explain this. She is unconvinced.

She proceeds to tell me about people at the club. People I don't know. She tells me about their families, partners, karaoke selections. These are people I've never met, but I smile and nod at all the right places. It makes her feel good so I play along.

When I finish cleaning her up, I tidy the room a bit. She continues talking about her friends. Friends she is convinced we share. I break into her story.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

She needs nothing else. Just an ear to listen. I say goodbye and tell her to call if she needs anything.

"See you at karoke," she tells me as I leave.

I'm sure I won't, but I smile and nod.

"Maybe I will."

1 comment:

The loco days of locolorenzo said...

Like a rhinestone cowboy.....I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets the karaoke conversations...of course, I'm stuck singing elvis songs to all the old ladies...