Sunday, October 15, 2006

My Liver is Too Gay for You!

I think one of the most selfless things that a person can do is become an organ donor. The way I figure is that when you die, you don’t need those organs any longer so why not let someone else use them. It’s sort of like outgrowing your clothes when you’re a kid. You could just throw that sweater out, but why not let your younger brother have it. I mean, just because you can’t use it doesn’t mean it should go to waste.

Ever since I first got my drivers license, I always proudly checked that little box that indicated I wished to be an organ donor. It was never a question for me. I have always had a desire for my organs to be given to others upon my death. I hoped that my heart could be placed into someone and allow them to live many more happy years. My liver would replace one ravaged by years of alcohol abuse and allow its new owner to start a new clean, healthy life. It all sounds so lovely, doesn’t it?

Well, my hopes of this happening were destroyed by several realizations last week. I attended a class at work on becoming a “certified donor requestor.” This basically means that I would be able to approach families of dead or dying patients and speak to them about donating their family member’s tissues and organs. The first realization was that it is incredibly difficult to actually be an organ donor. At my hospital, in order for someone’s organs to be donated they must be brain dead and on a ventilator. The reason for this is so ensure the viability of the organs. Organs stop functioning very quickly after the body dies, so it’s important to ensure that they will still be functioning once they are transferred into someone else’s body. This means that if you die at home or are killed in a car accident your organs can’t be used. You pretty much have to be in the hospital on a vent in a critical care unit. Plus you have to be declared brain dead through the performing of various tests. Of the number of deaths each year, how often do you think this happens? Not very. The good news is that this is not true to be a tissue or eye donor. So most everyone can donate their corneas, skin, heart valves, bones, and connective tissue.

The second realization I had that day was that my sexuality precludes me from being an organ donor. Yes, the fact that I like boys means that my organs and tissues can not be used upon my death. When this fact was revealed in my class, I could feel myself getting hot with rage. I simply can’t believe that the practice of excluding gay men from organ donation exists. This has been the case with blood donation for years and is also something that enrages me. The reason for this practice is the thought that gay men are more at risk for HIV and other communicable diseases. Let’s look at the facts, shall we? According to the Centers for Disease Control, in 2004 African Americans comprised the largest percentage of AIDS cases in the United States (43.1%). It is also estimated that 63.7% of women with AIDS contracted in through heterosexual contact. Between 2000 and 2004 the number of women with AIDS increased at a higher rate than men and the numbers of cases contracted through heterosexual contact increased at a higher rate than those contracted through homosexual contact. (Resource)

So what does this all mean? It seems to me that if organizations were truly concerned with limiting the risk of disease transmission through organ or blood donation then they should exclude most people of color and heterosexual women, since these appear to be some pretty high risk groups. Of course, all black women should be eliminated from the donor pool since they occupy both risk categories. Obviously no one would ever actually suggest that this be done since it would be ludicrous, not to mention racist. So why is it acceptable to keep gay men from being donors? Perhaps it’s just that we as a society continue to accept discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Prior to the actual donation of a person’s organs, a complete history on the potential donor is collected from the family. This includes a medical as well as social history. So let’s say I were to have a massive stroke today and was placed on a ventilator. After a few days, it becomes clear that I am not going to recover and I am declared brain dead. I am now a potential organ donor. Once the review process begins it is discovered that I have no chronic diseases such as hepatitis or diabetes and in fact have a very limited medical history. I have never used IV drugs and have a negative HIV test from the last 6 months. I am an ideal candidate for organ donation. Sounds good, right?

Wrong.

It is eventually revealed that I have been living with the same man for the last eight years in a homosexual relationship and am therefore ineligible. My organs go to waste. If this sounds crazy, it’s because it is. Sadly this would be exactly what would happen should I ever be in similar circumstances.

So what is one to do? I have refused to lie about my sexual orientation in order to donate blood ever since I became old enough to do so. Even when the Red Cross is crying out for blood, I stand my ground. I believe that they can change their rules if they want my fabulous, gay blood. Until that day it will all stay circulating in my beautiful veins. As for the organ issue, I hope to stick around for many more years before it becomes an issue. I am hopeful that someday this discriminatory practice will change. However if I die tomorrow, it’s sad that I’ll have to be buried with my big gay pancreas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe this. I had absolutely no idea! I think I'm kind of in shock after reading this. Some people sure are stupid.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that. Very sad state we live in when you sexuality comes into play when donating organs and blood. That should be confidential information. They test the blood and organs anyways for diseases or at least they should. Well 2008 hopefully we can have the liberals in charge and change can take place.