Sunday, July 08, 2007

The day the music died (addendum)

So I ordered this marimba. I'm not telling you how much it cost. Suffice it to say you could easily buy a small Korean automobile for the amount of money I will be paying for this marimba.

It's going to be very nice and I am very excited.

The problem is that I could be waiting until November for it to arrive.

You see I ordered it from this guy I used to go to school with who now custom builds marimbas. It's an odd career choice, but he's becoming quite well known for this. Well known in the marimba community at least. Since it's just him building the instruments, it takes awhile to get your marimba. He promised me that he would work hard and try to get it finished earlier, but I don't have much hope. He's a busy guy and a quality instrument takes time to construct.

In the mean time, here's a picture of one of the marimbas this guy has built. Mine will be similar, but with a metal frame. And less shiny.

No comments: